Thursday, June 2, 2011

Presentation


When it comes to me to learning something, presentation is everything.  I am sorry to say that I am over half way through my masters and I can actually recall very little of what I had learned in my earlier classes. The reason why is that the material was presented through a method where you read and write about what you read.  I have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from an excellent institution of higher learning and other than two literature classes I did not read the text in any class I took.  I worked problems in the end of the chapters, but I gained no knowledge from the pages of instruction in my overpriced text books.  I am extremely auditory when it comes to learning.  If I don't hear it then it doesn't stick.  The one class that I will call an exception is the 638 class where Skype classes were held and I was able to hear what Dr. Holder was saying to us.  I can read and enjoy reading the right books.  But I do not learn anything when I read and Liberty classes are (for the most part) R&R all the way.  I find it interesting that we are told as educators to teach to multiple learning styles, but even in this technology (internet) based program the classes are still paper and pencil classes.  Maybe one day higher education will catch up to what they are teaching teachers to do....... Maybe

4 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen.

    I've heard for years that the teaching profession draws a certain type of learner thus creating a cycle where one particular approach is inordinately represented. You would think that the advent of new technology, and the clear understanding that this can and should change teaching and learning, would actually cause a change in the learning process.

    Maybe, once we get past standardized tests as the primary means of determining success, then we'll see new approaches actually take root.

    Joe Greene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Alan......I just had to start laughing as I read your post.

    I truly appreciate your boldness in putting out there what many of us are experiencing in our educational journey. Like you, I have found that some of the information I had thought was in my long term memory was actually only in my "long-enough" term memory. I know that many of the concepts have been absorbed despite the now missing information and have become part of who I am.

    I am getting into teaching because I want to make a difference in the lives of youth, though as Joe suggests, maybe the change needs to start with who we are attracting to teaching and how we are teaching them. Perhaps the biggest difference I could make in the lives of youth would be to continue my education and help create better teachers.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with David, it took guts to admit that, but I'm right there with you, especially on being able to recall all those early learning theorists...they all tend to run together.

    It's a shame that we move at such a pace that we cannot slow down and really take our time to absorb the information. I'm thankful for the 8-week intensive program due to my busy schedule and timely need for my degree, but even in design, it's hurrying us through. Is that the goal of technology now? To enable us to go faster through our learning, even though that may not be the "better" way to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gentlemen,

    I completely concur with your observations on the "distance learning" model.

    Engaging learning requires both the teacher and student to interact through means other than passive learning such as what you are doing right now by reading a post that does not give us a chance to "mix it up a bit."

    My preferred instructional delivery mode is the hybrid model where there is a mixture of face-to-face, synchronous, and asynchronous interaction for students and the instructor.

    We need to plan a time where we can meet virtually live and talk about what a 21st century learning environment should include. The days of one-way instruction are way over.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete