Thursday, June 30, 2011

Technology in my life

My technology enters my life the moment I wake up.  My blackberry is my alarm clock, which (of course) only goes off on weekdays.  I immediately check my email, Facebook, and text messages (waiting for me on my blackberry).  I have satellite TV to look at the news, traffic, and weather for the day because I (by choice) live in the boondocks.  Of course I didn't need to see the weather on TV because I already saw that on my blackberry as well.  When I get to the truck and start it my blackberry (which is also my mp3 player) connects to my truck through its "sync" system.  Through voice commands I can play music, call someone, request a vehicle health report, etc.  Not to mention if there is an accident the truck will call 911 for me.  (Skipping the work day and the trip home)  I do some school work on my laptop.  If I don't want to sit in the den, but still want to watch a Blu-ray disc, I connect my laptop (which doubles as a Blu-ray player) to the flat screen in the bedroom.  We have a virtual recording studio in the basement where I have a digital piano/ synthesizer, as well as an electronic drum set, and other digital musical devices.  When I get bored I will join one of my sons on the X-box or PS3.  We don't use our Wii that often anymore.  That's about it for me, except I skipped the parts of the day where I use the most technology. ;)  I don't see the demands the technology has on my life because I know how to not answer the phone or email.  Technology has organized me so that One or two devices do for me things that I either spent more time doing, or didn't get to at all.  It obviously have integrated much technology into my everyday life.  I didn't see it as something to fight as much as to embrace the benefits that it offered to me.  If I had to give it up.... I'm OK with that too, because I do see the simpler past as a better time.  I often think I would have preferred to live many years ago.  If I had to or could eliminate one piece of technology from modern life, I would eliminate cars.  But that's a different post for a different subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment