Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Most Important Theory


I view social constructivism and the most important theory in online learning.  “Online learning environments have been identified as excellent venues for teaching and learning approaches derived from a constructivist epistemology” (Kehrwald, 2008)  This makes sense to me being a science  (chemistry) teacher in that teaching chemistry virtually  requires teachers to use the social constructivist methods.  Paris states “since learning is an active and creative process, classrooms should include challenging problems, projects and issues that require engagement, such as discussion, researching and presenting.” (Paris, 20011)  The nature of chemistry itself is challenging and like no other class students have encountered when starting the class.  There are mathematical concepts combined with spatial concepts while learning a new language (the language of chemistry) combined with built in projects (labs) in itself would make a chemistry teacher partial to this method of teaching.  I am interested in exploring the current technology application and best practices used in online science classes in general with particular interest in chemistry and physics to see which theories are most effective.
Kerwald, B. (2008). Understanding social presence in text-based online learning environments.  Distance Education, 29(1), 89-106
Paris, C.  (2011). Social constructivism and tourism education. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sports and Tourism Education, 10(2), 103-108. 

2 comments:

  1. Your area of interest concerning current technology application and best practices sounds very interesting. In my own classroom I often wonder if I am using the most effective means of inquiry when integrating technology. To investigate the most effective use of online classes would provide me with ideas for my own class. I teach in a traditional classroom, but the research is still applicable, and students really enjoy new tasks and new ways of doing assignments. I am a constructivist in my own personal philosophy but enjoy applying other theories into my lessons as well. Your research ideas and educational philosophy sound very interesting. Best wishes with both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very interesting and I like how you made the connection to your own area of expertise, chemistry. I do think its a great interest that you have in seeing how chemistry can have effective technology applications that benefit both the students and the overall learning processes. I too agree with this information being important because I often wonder about how to effectively integrate technology when teaching online courses that focus on more mathematical areas; such as chemistry, math, algebra, etc. This could pose a challenge to both the students and the instructors but with effective use of technology integration this challenge can be overcome. The constructivist theory as well as the equivalency theory could really work well to help overcome some barriers in this issue as well. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete