Thursday, May 19, 2011

Technology at Westfield High School

Technology is in the hand of the beholder.  Saying this I mean that how one views technology at Westfield depends on how one views technology.  If your idea of technology is one teacher laptop, a digital projector, sixteen student laptops shared between three teachers, and one SmartBoard shared between seven teachers then Westfield is looking good on the technology front.  If not then if you want technology, then be prepared to write a grant or spend some of your own money.  I bought a laptop and an Interwrite Pad just to get to what I consider to be the bare minimum.  I personally think that there should be enough laptops in a school for each student to have their own laptop.  Not buying the textbooks they don't read would go a long way to paying for some of those laptops.  In addition I believe that classes should have clickers or be allowed to use something like the "Vclicker" software that turns cell phones into clickers.  Westfield (and Fairfax County for that matter) is a frustrating place if one wants to be ahead of the technology curve.  I tried to get permission to use a free trial of a web based artificial intelligence chemistry tutoring software and was told that I had to go (way) up the ladder to have it approved.    The students now days don't respond to the same old same old methods of the past.  They were born with more technology than I had the first twenty-five years of my life.  With that said if the schools don't start adjusting on the fly we will lose our students (at least their interest) the way the church that I grew up in lost members through the eighties and nineties with the "If it ain't in the hymnal" (spoken with my most proper English) attitude that has all but about closed the doors in several churches.  We must do better!

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again. I have enjoyed reading your blogs in the past.

    I believe you hit upon a key element in the educator's fight to improve the quality of education in the United States today. The problem is not necessarily that we do not have the money, but is, in large part, HOW we spend that money. Continuing to perpetuate traditional instructional methods is counterproductive and leads directly to irrelevancy and therefore student apathy.

    On a side note, I would like to applaud you, and the many other teachers that act on the need to spend their own money on classroom tools. At the same time, I am appalled that this has become such a necessary and widespread practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, thanks for the great post and for the insight you are providing those of us who are not currently teachers. The lack of concern for technology by most school systems disgusts me, but does not surprise me. When it comes to spending money everything needs to be quantifiable with regards to outcomes. In most states and localities if they can't see a direct coloration to end of year testing then you will be hard pressed to get it approved.


    Have you looked into implementing something like edmodo.com? I know by this point people must think I work for them, but I swear I don't. Edmodo is free for students and teachers and makes huge strides towards implementing social media into the class structure. They are constantly working to improve based on the feedback of the teachers who use it and are making big partnerships with sites like khnacademy.


    Like David I want to thank you for having such a interest in the learning of your students that you would spend so much of your own money to deliver the education you feel they deserve. I hope that you are able to positively impact your school district and get them on board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan,

    Thank you for being a front-line teacher. You make the difference in your students' lives. I agree with you on the need for tech purchases increasing in school budgets. I believe that iPads and similar tools will transform classroom experiences on a dramatic level. Textbook companies like Pearson are already in full gear towards designing interactive textbooks. I attended a webinar from Pearson in looking at a beta version of a history ebook, or "vook" that allows teachers to access numerous resources that they can build into their units. The teacher is in full control over what the vook looks like. It was really cool.

    Keep leading the way in your classroom. You are doing the Lord's work,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete